One of our long term course participants, Pip, presented a brilliant demonstration on how to rag rug.
If you want to have a go you will need:
- Scraps of fabric
- Some thin weave sturdy fabric – hessian sacking
- Rag Rugging Tool
- Rag Rugging creates rugs using just rags and sacking.
- You need lots of short strips of fabric and a hessian backing sheet.
- You then pull each strip through holes in the hessian to create a pattern or picture.
- Tuck your fabric scrap under two threads of the hessian at a time and leave to threads of hessian between each scrap.
- Different fabrics should be rolled along the grain or on the bias depending on how susceptible they are to fraying.
- Hem your hessian before you start, to hold it straight
- If you’re doing an actual rug (rather than a smaller wall piece), it may be worth having a rag rugging gauge to wrap your fabric round to cut to the right size lengths.