Stone Setting | Gypsy Setting- February 2020
Sat 1st February 2020 @ 10:00 - Mon 3rd February 2020 @ 16:00| £200
Stone Setting | Gypsy Setting
with Elia Rizzo
Saturday 1st – Monday 3rd February | 10.00-16.00 | £200
Gypsy Stone Setting, also known as flush mount, shot or burnish setting, is similar to a bezel setting in that the stone appears to sit flush with the surface metal, but unike a bezel; which protrudes above the piece, with a gypsy setting it is set down into the piece.
On this course you will learn to set stones into a ring with a clean design using this quick and practical technique without requiring a bezel or prongs.
- how to choose appropriate stones.
- how to manage very small precious stones professionally.
- which designs are best suited to this technique.
- what the appropriate tools are and how to use them.
- in depth, fool proof step-by-step methods.
- how to produce and use a specially crafted tool to to achieve a professional result.
- how to use different methods and tools to secure a ring while executing professional stone settings.
- how to check your execution of a sucessful stone setting.
- how to professionally clean and finish a ring with set stones.
- how to avoid common mistakes and issues related with this technique.
- how to execute the technique on flat or rounded surface.
This course is ideally suited to those who have been on the Hammer Setting course previously. Email us with your experience if you haven’t done that course but would like to do this one.
Tools and materials will be provided, as will tea, coffee and biscuits. Please bring packed lunches.
Read all about our tutor Elia Rizzo on the Cambridge Art Makers’ course tutors page.
Please note that although this course is in our downstairs workshop, our kitchen and toilets are on the first floor up 1 flight of stairs. If this is going to pose a problem for you please email us at email@example.com